2011 Fete Panorama

Loading Loader Graphic

history

Before 1800

Area in the 1760s

Domestic building increased from the 1760s. Bird's Buildings (later nos. 60-5 Colebrooke Row) were built on the north side of River Lane in 1767, and the houses originally called Colebrooke Row were said to have been built in 1768, becoming nos. 55 to 41, although nos. 54-5, much altered, may have been older. They are three-storeyed with attics, and had pedimented Doric doorcases; three were given an extra storey. Nos. 40 to 37 (later demolished) may have been built at the same time or c. 1775 with nos. 36 to 34, and the row ended on the south where the junction with the later Gerrard Road lies. (fn. 34) The last house at the southern end, then no. 1 Colebrooke Row, was originally the Colebrooke Arms but became a girls' and by 1828 a boys' school. A white plaster house behind the row was occupied for some years by William Woodfall (1746-1803), parliamentary reporter. At the north end of the row one of the houses facing south was the Revd. John Rule's school in the 1760s and 1770s and next to it were the Castle inn and tea-gardens. (fn. 35) The land on the east side of Colebrooke Row was let to William and James Watson as a nursery garden in 1770. (fn. 36)
Source: Quoted from http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=1281#n22

Before 1800180018501900195019752000Since 2000
Button As Exercise Ground of Archers' Division
Button Area in 17th century
Button Area in early 18th century
Button Area in the 1760s
Button Area Map - 1846
Button Area Map - 1859
Button Charles Booth's Map of Social Economic Status of the Area Around 1898
Button Charles Booth's Entries on Social Economic Status of the Area Around 1898
Button
Button
Button
Button
Button