2011 Fete Panorama

Loading Loader Graphic

history

Before 1800

Area in early 18th century

In the early 18th century a pair of two-storeyed cottages (later nos. 56-7 Colebrooke Row) with attics and linked doorways was built on the south side of the New River near River Lane, probably c. 1717 when the site with the surrounding Hattersfield (fn. 27) was sold to Walter Burton, who built a brewhouse and brick kilns there. Another pair (later nos. 58-9 and much altered), possibly of the same date, stood at right angles facing south. Bricks and tiles were made there in the 1730s and the field became known as Tile kiln field. (fn. 28) In 1725 there were three inns in Frog Lane: the Chequer, Flower Pot, and Fox and Cub. (fn. 29) Frog Hall, an inn recorded in 1735 and 1746 which had a sign of a plough drawn by frogs, (fn. 30) was not licensed by that name, which may have been a local nickname. In 1765 the inns in the Lane were the Rose, Barley Mow, Plough, and Angel (the last possibly the Angler). (fn. 31) A few other buildings stood near Frog Lane in 1735, in the lanes off Lower Street. Greenman's Lane had buildings at the Lower Street end, and others stood at the east end of Elder Walk and near the almshouses in Queen's Head Lane. (fn. 32) The Rosemary Branch inn seems to have closed between 1730 and 1751, and a white lead factory with two large windmills occupied the site by 1786, but a new Rosemary Branch was also built there in 1783. (fn. 33)
Source: Quoted from http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=1281#n22

Before 1800180018501900195019752000Since 2000
Button As Exercise Ground of Archers' Division
Button Area in 17th century
Button Area in early 18th century
Button Area in the 1760s
Button Area Map - 1846
Button Area Map - 1859
Button Charles Booth's Map of Social Economic Status of the Area Around 1898
Button Charles Booth's Entries on Social Economic Status of the Area Around 1898
Button
Button
Button
Button
Button