2011 Fete Panorama

Loading Loader Graphic

history

Before 1800

Area in 17th century

SOUTH-EAST ISLINGTON, east of High Street and Essex Road, in the 17th century was open land: in the northern part large freehold fields, and in the southern mainly copyhold land of tenements which lined High Street and Lower Street, as the part of Essex Road between Islington green and Cross Street was then known. (fn. 22) Frog Lane crossed the southern part from the boundary with St. Luke's to join the continuation of Lower Street north of the town, known as Lower Road, and, as the town grew, lanes and footpaths were made from Lower Street to Frog Lane. In 1735 they were River or Water Lane (later St. Peter's Street), also mentioned in 1717, (fn. 23) Boons, Almshouse, or Queen's Head Lane, Elder Walk, and Gunter's, Curriers, or Greenman's Lane. (fn. 24) Midway along the north side of Queen's Head Lane stood ten almshouses of the Clothworkers' Company of London, built c. 1658 with funds from John Heath (d. 1641). (fn. 25) Away from the town, the only building known to have existed in the early 18th century was the Rosemary Branch inn, at the parish boundary by 1716. (fn. 26)
Source: Quoted from http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=1281#n22

Before 1800180018501900195019752000Since 2000
Button As Exercise Ground of Archers' Division
Button Area in 17th century
Button Area in early 18th century
Button Area in the 1760s
Button Area Map - 1846
Button Area Map - 1859
Button Charles Booth's Map of Social Economic Status of the Area Around 1898
Button Charles Booth's Entries on Social Economic Status of the Area Around 1898
Button
Button
Button
Button
Button