2011 Fete Panorama

Loading Loader Graphic

history

Before 1800

As Exercise Ground of Archers' Division

From the reign of Henry VII to 1791 the area now occupied by Arlington Square formed a part of the exercise ground of the Archers' Division of the Artillery Company. Here, in what is now the gardens of #24 Arlington Street, was one of the companies stone rovers, or distance marks for forward shooting, as distinguished from shooting at a butt or target. This rover was called the John, and was inscribed F.G., 1679: others were called Robin Hood and Scarlet. The John rover was removed when the grounds were enclosed.
Source: London Past and Present: Its History, Associations, and Traditions
By Henry Benjamin Wheatley, Peter Cunningham

Before 1800180018501900195019752000Since 2000
Button As Exercise Ground of Archers' Division
Button Area in 17th century
Button Area in early 18th century
Button Area in the 1760s
Button Area Map - 1846
Button Area Map - 1859
Button Charles Booth's Map of Social Economic Status of the Area Around 1898
Button Charles Booth's Entries on Social Economic Status of the Area Around 1898
Button
Button
Button
Button
Button